Manual Lathe Operator
Irving, Texas | Contract To Hire
Manual Lathe Operator needed contract to hire!
- Operate conventional, manual lathes (vertical and horizontal), mills and balance machines (no CNC)
- Select proper tools and speeds for the machining process
- Perform set up and check runout on rotors, armatures, housings and parts as needed
- Machine and fabricate parts using engine lathes, mills, and drill presses; occasionally may operate grinder
- Measure and record machined part fits to .0002" with precision on ID and OD using micrometer or caliper
- Machine threads, turn and undercut commutators, bore and bush endbells
- Removal or installation of specific parts for machining or balancing
- Draw accurate prints for parts needing to be fabricated
- Properly order materials
- High School diploma or GED; certificate or diploma from a trade school a plus; an equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
- Must have extensive conventional machining experience (CNC only experience does not qualify)
- At least 5 years related experience using manual machining equipment (lathes, mills & balance machines)
- Experience working on lathes with 24" - 72" chucks; work using Bridgeport type mills with 48" table
- Experience from a motor shop preferred; machine job shop, oil field or similar industrial manual machining large parts may be considered
- Prefer experience machining electric motors or generators of 200 HP or larger; experience machining pumps may substitute
- Must have proficiency in interpreting correct tolerance class to .0002" for machined fits
- Must have own tools including basic hand tools, micrometer, dial calipers, indicators, etc.
- Experience with tig or stick welding and/or oxy/acetylene brazing or cutting a plus, but not required
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and periodic, unannounced random drug tests
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check
- Must be able to safely lift up to 75lbs, safely work around machinery with moving parts, stand and walk, use hand and power tools, and operate an overhead crane, with or without reasonable accommodations. Must be able to pass a fit for duty physical exam
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Initiative and the ability to think and act independently
This position is full time, Monday - Friday 7: 30 a.m. - 4: 30 p.m.