Diesel Mechanic Service Technicians
12706 West County Road 100 Odessa, TX 79765 | Contract To Hire
Position Title: Service Technician
Reports to: Service Manager
The Service Technician is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with service and re-manufacturing customers and vendors. This is accomplished by identifying and providing solutions to equipment malfunctions and failures through the inspection, diagnosis, repair, reconditioning and preparation of equipment (unit) in a satisfactory and timely fashion, both in-house and in the field.
We want to support our teams in building the culture of Excellence that our customers demand. At our Company, we strive to deliver a high quality product with a high sense of urgency because this is what our customer needs. Our Service Technicians at Company are part of our unified nationwide Service team and we want you to help build a brotherhood that goes beyond your Service Center doors. This is done by exhibiting a high level of attention to detail, leadership and pride in what we do.
The role of service technician offers growth through our service technician leveling system. Ranging from Level 1 to Level 4 our service techs have the ability to develop their technical expertise, offer technical leadership throughout our nationwide service department and also grow their annual compensation. We assess our technicians regularly to determine their current level of competency and look for areas to train them and help them further develop.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend and contribute to daily start-up meeting.
- Understand and follow Standard work for Service Department but also contribute ideas to improve our methods.
- Disassemble units for diagnosis and/or repair.
- Inspect, troubleshoot and diagnose unit failures.
- Devise solutions for unit failures through examination of equipment, specification sheets and manuals.
- Provide customer service/inside sales personnel with written documentation of parts needed in order to complete repair.
- Clean and degrease parts using appropriate chemicals and cleaning devises.
- Recondition and/or replace damaged parts and reassemble units using appropriate manuals and schematics.
- Test reassembled units for fitness.
- Paint reassembled units and prepare for storage or shipment.
- Perform field service work when necessary in a safe and timely manner.
- Assist sales personnel with customers who have service related questions.
- Maintain a professional and courteous attitude with customers and vendors at all times.
- Provide on-the-job training to technicians and helpers as assigned.
- Keep work area clean and organized and in a safe working condition.
- Understand general 5S concepts and work to raise the overall level of shop organization.
- Perform weekly 5S audits as assigned.
- Maintain shop equipment and tools in good and safe working order.
- Alert appropriate personnel when shop supplies need to be ordered.
- Follow all company safety and DOT policies and procedures.
- Complete all required paperwork in an accurate and timely manner.
- Attend service schools and technical training as required by management.
- Perform all other duties as requested, assigned or required by management.
- See Technician Leveling System for further details on Level 1 through Level 4 requirements.
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude.
- Knowledge of basic hydraulic principals.
- Knowledge of DC current and electronic fundamentals.
- Demonstrated knowledge of failure analysis and the use of diagnostic equipment and instrumentation.
- Ability to read and understand assembly manuals, drawings and schematics.
- Ability to work cooperatively and communicate effectively with co-workers, vendors and customers.
- Good physical condition with the ability to lift 50 lbs and stand for 8 consecutive hours.
- Dexterity and agility sufficient for climbing around equipment, repairing equipment and driving vehicles with clutch transmission.
- Strong customer service orientation with a demonstrated sense of urgency.
Education, licenses and experience
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Vocational or Military mechanic training, preferably in diesel.
- Current driver’ s license.
- At least 2 years experience working in the repair of industrial, off-road vehicles.