Software Development Engineer Seattle, WA
Seattle, WA 98119
Want to be a part of a collaborative team as a contributing technical leader that desires to help serve a group of engineers to accelerate to the future of online travel? Are you passionate about operating and running your software at scale as much as you enjoy building it? If either of these describes you, we have been looking for you!
The Company Flights team is looking for a Software Development Engineer II that has a strong desire to construct and deliver operational tools and processes that will drive the availability and site reliability of our platform to offer travelers everywhere the lowest possible prices, the best available selection, and the best user experience for shopping and purchasing flights. This person will help to maintain the stability of our systems and strive to continually improve the operational effectiveness of the Flights platform. They embrace the opportunity to tackle challenging problems and deliver solutions that propel quality. They thrive in an atmosphere that delivers high quality, exceptional results in a dynamic, agile environment where they can also mentor and influence other members of the team on sound operational design and practices.
This role requires skills to ensure a highly available, easily manageable production architecture. In this role, you' ll work collaboratively with software engineering teams to build, deploy, operate, and support our systems. You are the operations champion for your teams. You will help automate and streamline our operations and processes. You will build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring and operations. And you will troubleshoot and resolve issues in our dev, test and production environments. Candidates should be comfortable developing mission critical tools and troubleshooting issues at the application, system and network layers. This role will require you to be on-call support along with the software engineers to collectively remediate lab and production incidents.
What will you own?
- Management of lab and production large scale environments
- Work with cross functional teams to deliver products on time with high quality
- Work in conjunction with IT, engineering, and business groups to understand functionality, scalability, performance, security, and integration requirements.
- Automation of various processes required to support production/non-production systems
- Build automated continuous integration and deployment pipelines that enable other teams to deliver high-quality software at speed
- Develop and implement instrumentation for monitoring the health and availability of services including fault detection, alerting, triage, and recovery (automated and manual).
- Be accountable for proper backup and disaster recovery procedures.
- Work throughout the SDLC to ensure reliability and high availability is built-in from scratch and present in all environments up to and including the production environment
- Build solutions to problems that interrupt availability, performance, and stability in our systems, services, and products at scale.
- Drive operational cost reductions through service optimizations and demand based auto scaling
- Deprecation and removal of legacy processes and systems in favor of the new process you build
What you bring?
- You live and breathe the Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) principles
- Ability to code and script using a wide variety of open source technologies and tools to deliver clean and highly performant solutions
- Experience with best practices building and maintaining large application infrastructure
- Ability to manage and operate systems across many different OS/data center/cloud combinations
- Ability to influence and drive adoption of operational best practices
- Being comfortable with frequent, incremental code testing and deployment
- Experience building automated continuous integration and deployment pipelines for delivery of software in a distributed architecture
- Strong problem-solving capabilities, especially under pressure
- Confidence in solving difficult engineering challenges and a solid can-do mentality
- Strong grasp of IT operations, system administration, and automation tools
- Understanding and focus on business outcomes
- Understanding and efficiency in collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders